A Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner:
- Is an experienced registered nurse with advanced education, skills, and extended class (EC) registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Has the independent authority to perform controlled acts beyond those available to Registered Nurses (RNs), including ordering and interpreting diagnostic tests, communicating a diagnosis, prescribing pharmaceuticals, performing specific procedures, and referring to specialists.
- Provides health promotion, disease prevention and illness management for individuals, families, groups, communities, and populations
- Often acts as the individual’s or family’s first point of contact with the health care system, similar to the role of a Family Physician
- Works collaboratively with other health care professionals to support the health of their clients